Hello, I’m Amanda
Thank you for stopping by.
I am mum to Millicent, who is 7 months old at the time of writing this. Millicent is our very own water baby born in Winchester. I am the founder and owner of Placenta Practice, one of UK’s premier Placenta Encapsulation companies, supporting hundreds of clients each year. I live in Winchester but spend a fair bit of time in London too.
I officially became a Doula back in 2008, but had actually been ‘Doula’ing’ (if there is such a word), for much longer without really knowing about it. My whole career has been about childcare, birth and caring for women. I have more than 24 years of invaluable knowledge and expertise with expectant mothers, newborn babies and children through to teenagers. All this experience have given me very many precious insights into the ‘birthing experience’.
I appreciate that giving birth is one of the most momentous, memorable and emotional times of a woman’s life. During these incredible moments, and in the hours and days that follow, it is so important to be with warm, supportive and highly skilled professionals.
I am a firm believer in being organised and prepared in all walks of life. Preparing for a birth should be no different. I am happy to talk all things pregnancy and birth related to ensure both the expectant mum, and the partner, are perfectly comfortable with all the preparations. Of course baby’s have their own agendas for the big day. So I will be on hand to offer you the support you need to achieve the birth you are aiming for. I pride myself on my varied knowledge (please see below for my qualifications/courses) in all things baby and birth related. So whether you’d like to talk about hypnobirthing, colostrum harvesting, placenta encapsulation, pregnancy diet, weaning, prams or just want to talk…about everything baby and birth…then please feel free to get in touch.
My Qualifications, Courses & Experiences
- BTEC Diploma in Nursery Nursing 1996
- Nurturing Birth Doula Course 2008
- Independent Placenta Encapsulation Network (IPEN) – Training
- Smart Cells Phlebotomist – qualified and trained in the procurement of umbilical cord blood and stem cells
- Full Disclosure and Barring Service clearance
- Professional Public and Product Liability Insurance in Placenta Encapsulation
- Pro Infection Control Certificate UK – NICE and HSE Blood Borne Pathogens Standard
- Level 2 Certificate in Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP)
- Food Hygiene Certificate Level 2 for Manufacturing – City & Guilds Accredited
- Food Safety & Hygiene Certificate Level 2 for Catering – City & Guilds Accredited
- Nutrition For Pregnancy and Baby
- First Aid Certified with St Johns Ambulance
- OCN Maternity Nurse Practitioner Award
- MNT Post Natal Depression Certificate
- MNT Multiple Births Certificate
- Developmental Baby Massage and Movement Teacher with Peter Walker
- Active Birth Study Day – Janet Balaskas
- Birth Crisis Workshop – Sheila Kitzinger
- Biological Nurturing Seminar – Dr Suzzane Colson
- Breastfeeding Workshop – Ruth Tamir
- Breastfeeding Workshop Level 1 & 2 – Nurturing Birth
- Hypnobirthing Workshop – Lisa Jackson
- Supporting a Lotus Birth Study Day
- Rebozo for Pregnancy and Childbirth by School of Babywearing
- Spinning Babies Workshop – Gail Tully
- Water Birth Study Day – Dianne Garland
- Womb Healing Workshop – Bushra Finch
- Organiser and attendee Workshop – Mark Harris